Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Newest findings and treatment

So, remember how I said the doctor was looking at other tick-borne infections that could have happened when I contracted Lyme Disease? Well, come to find out I still have Lyme Disease! It has been "hiding in my biofilm" all this time. All the other doctors that dismissed it because the main test was coming back "not positive" weren't doing the right test and were wrong. So what does this mean? Plenty! It means, we may have found the underlying cause to my POTS, which means if we can cure the Lyme Disease, we may cure or reduce the POTS. It also means there is a hope to feeling better in general. So my doctor has been attending many conferences, online and in person, to learn as much as she can about Lyme Disease. I will share what she has told me. The bacteria that causes Lyme Disease is a spirochete so it can hide itself. The test that most doctors use can only check if it's in the blood, not if it's hiding. It also will not come back negative once you've been infected as it is checking for the antibodies against it not the actual bacteria. Confusing right?
So she found several treatment options, but most of them are costly. So she found a more natural and more cost friendly treatment for me to try. I'll try my best to explain. So for one week I take a supplement called Berberine. The next  week, I use a little bit of stevia as a sweetener and continue taking Berberine. Then depending on how I feel, I either continue taking both or stop taking the stevia if I'm too sick. I do this so that I take the Berberine for a total of six weeks. Then I stop both for two weeks. I'll continue repeating this process until it stops working, kills the bacteria, or I'm strong enough to try a more aggressive approach. Here's my understanding of what I'm doing: the Berberine acts like an antibiotic against the Lyme bacteria, and the stevia pulls it out of hiding so the Berberine can kill it. I take two week breaks so that the Lyme won't try to hide further and will start coming out a little on its own.
What does this mean for me? I'm sick! There is a thing called Herxheimer Reaction that basically says when a treatment is killing the bacteria the person may feel more sick as the body tries to fight everything. So, I am exhausted, feel nauseated and generally sick, and struggle daily to function. But, it means the Berberine should be working. The first round was awful, then I took off  four weeks instead of two (with doctor's permission.) The first two weeks were worse than the six weeks of treatment, the third week was a little better and the fourth week was almost normal. I started the next round and did not start the stevia the second week, the first week was very rough again, the end of the second week was better, so today I took some stevia. I actually said to hubby today that since I feel decent I'll start the stevia to make sure there is bacteria for the Berberine to attack. Seemed like a comical conversation to have "hunny, I feel decent so I'm gong to start making myself feel worse again." Even more comical is that he agreed!
So this is where we are, at this moment. I don't know if weekly updates would be too much, but I'm going to try to update how things are going more often now that I actually have a treatment plan.
Praying you have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated. Spam will be deleted.
Thanks for sharing!